When expatriates relocate overseas their tax status is the last thing on their mind and this is one of the reasons you cannot afford to obtain advice that is not appropriate or incorrect. Atlas Wealth Management works with some of the best expatriate tax accountants in the country to ensure that not only is the information that you receive appropriate but also up to date.

When deciding to move overseas, there are a multitude of decisions to make when it comes to your tax status. Do you qualify or elect to be a non-resident for tax purposes or would you still be classified as a resident even though you are working overseas? Generally speaking the Australian Tax Office classifies you to be an Australian resident if you meet the following criteria:

  • You have always lived in Australia
  • You have moved to Australia and live here permanently
  • You have been in Australia for more than 183 days over a period of 365 days.

There are two ways that you can become a non-resident for tax purposes:

  1. Leave Australia permanently with a view to never returning
  2. Establish a permanent place of residence overseas